May 5, 2010

Out West Invites

The other challenge with getting our invites out is that some of them incorporate a DIY aspect and if you’re been reading this blog for awhile you know that I suck at arts and crafts stuff.

Let me provide some background on this situation. Our actual wedding is in Toronto in August. Then, about a month later, we’re flying out to Alberta for an out-West reception for my family out there (my parents and most of my dad’s family live in Alberta).

The has resulted in our guest list being divided up into three groups that each have their own “invitation package”:

The Toronto-Only Invites
These are the easiest invites to put together since we just have to put a pre-made invite and a stamped RSVP postcard inside an envelope and then address it.

The Alberta Invites
These guys get a special Alberta invite that I created (more on that later) and a stamped RSVP postcard. I thought I was going to have to make the RSVP card too but then I realized I could use the first batch of RSVP cards we were sent. These were missing the meal options and therefore no good for our Toronto wedding so I thought they’d just end up as recycling but nope, I’ve been able to find a use for at least a few of them.

Toronto & Alberta Invites
These lucky people get the pre-printed Toronto invited and its matching RVSP postcard, the handmade Alberta invite, another RSVP card (more on this later) and an envelope to return the two RSVP cards in.

The RSVP cards the Alberta-only people are getting and the crappy ones I made for the Toronto & Alberta guests
Because I have no design skills, the Alberta invite started off as just being copy and a couple decorative borders printed on shiny silver paper. However, once I cut these up they looked kind of crappy.

Thankfully, the black envelopes we had bought to use for the Toronto and Alberta invite RSVP cards turned out to actually be backing cards that the cut-up invites fit perfectly on (yeah for not properly reading the packaging). So now, while extra worked is involved because I have to glue the silver paper on to the black, the Alberta invites at least look good.

The same cannot be said for my homemade RSVP cards. They are small and ugly and we used up all of the silver paper and Shawn doesn’t want to buy any more of it because it’s expensive and he thinks the cards look fine (sorry for the run-on sentence but this is a bit of a sore spot).

So here’s what I’m thinking of doing: I want to take menu-less RSVP cards and cover up the back, which currently has the return info printed on it, with silver paper.

Then I’ll do the same thing with the Toronto RSVP cards and write on the back of each card which venue it’s for. I realize this might look a bit odd but I think it’ll look better than using my ghetto homemade RSVP cards.

Anyway, I'm going to give that a shot tonight and see how big of a hassle it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment