Mar 11, 2010

Ring Picked, Cake Still A Mystery

This is how wedding planning goes: one step ahead, two steps back.

The step ahead came yesterday when the quote came in for my wedding ring. Because of how my engagement ring is designed, I can’t wear a regular wedding band (well, not without it looking weird) so I needed a custom one. A few weeks ago, Shawn and I headed over to Made You Look, a Parkdale jewellery shop that has a great reputation for creating high quality stuff. After a bit of back and forth and quick meeting last Sunday with a ring designer, we got our number and it fits within our budget so that’s good.

My ring is being designed by Jilian Maddin and so far she’s been great to work with. While Made You Look certainly isn’t the cheapest spot in town to get a custom ring made, they are reasonable and the end result is great so if you’re looking for custom jewellery I recommend them (the store also stocks all kinds of beautiful, sparkly things and its smaller sister shop located across the street offers lots of fun, and cheaper, pieces).

The steps back are the result of the stupid wedding cake. I should start by explaining that our wedding cake will be doubling as our dessert and I want it to be one of the best cakes that my guests have ever tasted.

Cakes, and desserts in general, are important to me and I really, really want this thing to be one of the highlights of my wedding. But I also want something that’s in my budget and that looks nice. So I got a few quotes, ate a few samples and then decided that really, my best bet would be to get a couple of amazing mousse cakes from Patisserie D’Or in Oakville.

This place makes cakes that you think about for days after and even though our cake likely wouldn’t look like a tradition tiered wedding cake (you’re not supposed to stack mouse cakes), it would taste so good that no one would care what it looked like. And this place is totally within my budget. Sadly, it’s closed for month, starting mid-July and continuing into August. So no wedding cake from there.

I do have a back-up bakery (no, not Dufflets; getting a custom design pushes the price above our budget and I don’t like their wedding cakes enough to make that splurge) and while they make great cakes, I wouldn’t say they make cakes that you dream about. I have emailed a couple of other places to see what they charge and hopefully we can get this cake business wrapped up soon.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lindsay,

    I'm considering working with Jilian for an engagement ring. Could you please give your feedback. How did your experience end up?

    I'll look for your response here.

    Thanks,
    Jacob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Overall our experience was great. I think she might have taken a touch longer than I thought it would take but the ring looked just like she said it would and the price was completely reasonable.

    ReplyDelete