Mar 27, 2010

My Makeup Artist

I knew early on that I wanted to have my hair and makeup done at home; it just seemed quicker and easier then heading out to a salon and back. But of course that convenience comes at a price.

I started my search for a make-up artist online and while there are plenty of options out there, most of them seem to fall into two categories: super-talented and expensive and not-so-talented and more affordable.

Thankfully a friend told me about her friend, Kim, who does at-home bridal makeup. I contacted Kim and she gave me a price that while not a steal, is reasonable: $125 for my trial and wedding day make-up.

Kim was able to offer me that price because while she has done a few weddings, she’s still a fairly new makeup artist and currently she just does it on the side. I know that her level of experience might make some people nervous but I saw Kim’s portfolio, my friend vouched for her skills and personality and she gave the right answers to the questions I asked her.

And here are a few questions that you want to ask you makeup artist:
  1. How many weddings have you done?
  2. What other kind of events have you done?
  3. Do you have any non-wedding photographer shots of your work you can show me? (because wedding photographer photos are often touched up)
  4. What kind of makeup brands do you use?
  5. Will you take photos of the trial’s end results?
  6. Will you make a face chart?
  7. Does your price include fake eye lashes? (if you want them)
Your makeup artist should also ask you a few questions, including:
  1. Wedding date & time
  2. Location
  3. Theme/feel/etc.
  4. Any skin concerns/sensitivities you have
  5. Whether or not you want to use your own foundation
  6. Whether or not you have any ideas or inspiration photos
Kim currently doesn’t have a website up but I will post the websites of a few other makeup artists I came across in a future entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment