Mar 29, 2010

My (Probable) Hair Stylist

Question: Why does this city have so many at-home makeup artists but so few at-home hair stylists? I guess it’s easier to move makeup supplies than hair styling supplies but still, the ratio seemed way, way off.

Through the magic of Google and the wedding boards I was able to get the names of a handful of people who will come to your house to do your hair. Three or four of those names were quite pricey, like over $200 pricey.

Now maybe if I wanted some super-elaborate style or my hair was super-difficult I would consider paying $200. But no, I want my hair pulled back in a fairly simple style that I am not paying $200 for.

A few others were located outside of Toronto and I didn’t really want to have to worry about them getting stuck in traffic and showing up late or charging me travel fees so I skipped them.

And then there were the people who did hair and makeup. My original plan had been to find one of these vendors but then I started talking to Kim and she seems so nice and such a good deal that I didn’t want to not use her.

Thankfully I was able to find someone who would just do hair. Well, actually I found a company called The Mobile Stylist, which specializes in at-home makeup and hair stylists. So far my dealings with it seem fine. Charlene, the woman who runs the company, gets back to me quickly and answers all of my questions. While she is a stylist, she won’t be the one doing my hair, it’ll be another woman who I’ll meet in April when I have my trial done.

I will be going up to Charlene’s salon to have that done (cheaper than having it done at home) and the location’s a bit of a hassle (way up on Bathurst) but the price is right ($65 for the trial, $88 for the wedding day) and she tells me that my stylist has tons of experience and is really talented. I’m hoping she’s right!

I’ll make sure to post about how my hair trial goes and share any tips I pick up.

No comments:

Post a Comment