Mar 24, 2010

Our Cake Shop:The Sweet Escape Patisserie

So we’d been having some problems finding the ideal place to get our cake from. Thankfully Twitter came to the rescue.

I tweeted our dilemma and my friend Andrea replied and recommended The Sweet Escapes Patisserie, a bakery that I’d actually tried during this “bake-off” event that she organized back in December. As soon as she told me that the bakery she was recommending was responsible for the amazing macaroons that had been served at this event I knew we had our bake shop.

I emailed Sweet Escapes and its owner Michelle quickly got back to me. She said the cake we were interested in would run us about $350 for 100 servings, no charge for delivery. This, in case you’re wondering, is an amazing deal.

She also mentioned that we could do cupcakes, something that really hadn’t interested me until I started looking at Sweet Escapes huge cupcake selection. You have to check it out.

The bakery is located in the Distillery District so we headed over there on a rainy Sunday and meet up with Michelle. She was friendly, helpful and very low-pressure.

She showed us a three-tiered cake stand and explained that we could do something like having a small cake as the top tier and then have cupcakes as the rest of the tiers. It’s a great idea that we’ve decided to go with since this way we’ll be able to do the traditional cutting of the cake and offer our guests a wide range of tasty flavours including chocolate mousse. And, as a happy bonus, cupcakes are cheaper than a traditional cake.
Chocolate Mousse Cupcake
While there we tried three flavours: Hazelnut, strawberry and red velvet and all three were amazing and will be making an appearance at our wedding. The cake part was moist and tasty while the buttercream icing was flavourful and not too sweet. And overall the cupcake was very filling; I have no worries that our guests will feel hungry after eating one of those.

We did leave a deposit though we still need to figure out our cupcake flavours. I think that in addition to the four I’ve already mentioned we’ll also have creamsicle and mint. Any other suggestions?

I have a few other bakeries that I’d like to highlight for you so watch for a future post about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment