May 15, 2009

The Wonderful World of Colours

I *think* we’ve settled on our wedding colours. They are black, silver and dark purple. Below is my sad attempt at a colour swatch.



I knew right from the start that I wanted dark purple. I’ve always been partial to that colour and it’s a colour that you can get some lovely flowers in. So that choice was easy. Choosing the other two colours was a bit trickier.


We’re going light on decor (no drapping or elaborate centrepieces) so I wanted to keep our colours simple yet at the same time interesting so I was thinking dark purple, gold (because it’s interesting and could be worked into my outfit) and white (because all the linens will be in white). But the more I thought about this colour combo, the less I liked it.


So then I thought about swapping the gold with a green and maybe even adding some brown in.


Then we paid another visit to our future venue, the Berkeley. It was dressed for a wedding that was using black linens and the Berkeley’s standard silver and black chairs. Shawn loved the black and I agreed that it looked great. The silver chairs, while not in the greatest condition, really suited the venue and matched nicely with the church’s other silver elements, like its tin ceiling. And since silver is my favourite colour, the idea of using it as a wedding colour just made sense.

So as of now the plan is to go with black, silver and dark purple. Not the most traditional of wedding colours but I do think that they’ll look great together.

No comments:

Post a Comment