May 12, 2009

A Friday Wedding?

So we’ve picked our venue and we’ve almost picked our date. It’s going to be either Friday, August 6, or Saturday, August 7. Yeah, that’s right, we might have our wedding on a Friday.I know it’s unorthodox but there are some great reasons for getting married on a Friday:

  • it’s cheaper (we’ll save $700 at the Berkeley)
  • it’s easier to book vendors
  • instead of just one day to recover, you get two

But while I’m all for this idea, Shawn isn’t. His reluctance has to do with the fact that we have a pair of friends who already announced that they’re getting married on a Friday and some of our other friends grumbled about this. Now I’ll admit that I participated in this grumbling but now that I’m planning a wedding I completely understand why someone would pick Friday over Saturday.

And steps can be taken to minimize the hassle for guests that Friday weddings can be. For example, our ceremony likely won’t be until 7:30 pm. In theory, you could put in a full day’s work and still make it to our wedding. Our venue is located downtown and, for our 905 guests anyways, is situated against the flow of rush hour. And finally, we’re getting married in August. Taking off from work an hour or two early on a Friday in August is practically the norm.

We currently have the Berkeley on hold for both August 6 and 7 but need to make a decision in the next few days. I’ve essentially put this choice in Shawn’s hands (now he can’t say he didn’t have his say in the wedding) and I’m curious to see if he’ll pick the cheaper Friday date or the more popular Saturday date.

1 comment:

  1. Trust me, people will get over the whole Friday thing if that's what you end up deciding. I was so caught up with having mine on a Saturday, but when I realized we'd save some money, I was all for it. We've had a few complaints but if people know ahead of time, then it works itself out. Good luck with the decision!

    ReplyDelete