Feb 28, 2009

Wedding By Color


Confession time: I have no design skills. I struggled to put together a simple colour scheme for my bathroom and I’m easily amazed by people who designed their own wedding stuff, like invitations and centerpieces.

I do though know what I like and what I don’t like and if presented with a creation, I have no problems declaring my opinion on it.

Because of this, I’ve been spending a far amount of time on Google Images and Yahoo images, looking up keywords like “purple flowers” and “original centerpieces” (I’m 99.9 percent sure we’re going with dark purple as one of our colours). It was this process that led me to Wedding By Color, a great website packed with design idea to uh, inspire you.

The site is really an online community for brides but what makes it different from other wedding blogging sites is that all the bride blogs are categorized by colour. Pick your colour (your options are: red, orange, blue, green, purple, pink, yellow, brown, black and white) and you’re taken to a list of blogs maintained by brides who are all using that colour in their weddings. Most blogs are packed with pictures of wedding stuff: everything from bridemaids’ dresses to cakes to favours. For an example of one particular pic-heavy blog, check out oldhollywoodbride’s black wedding.

You can also view posts by categories or tags (for example, the “flowers” categories will bring up any blog posts that have been tagged with or categorized as “flowers”) and there is a search let that lets you put in a keyword and the refine the results by colour. I tried this out using “Toronto” as my keyword and it actually did bring up some Toronto brides who were also going with purple (though it did also bring up non-Toronto brides as well).

So if you’re a design-challenged bride like myself, check out Wedding By Color. It’s packed with great ideas and much cheaper than hiring a professional designer!


No comments:

Post a Comment