Feb 16, 2009

But that's my idea!

Yesterday, while tweaking this blog, I noticed that one of my co-workers had left a comment on my post about the Berkeley Church. It mentioned that one of our co-workers had recently gotten married at that particular location.

Now, you’d think I’d be happy to read that; that now I could ask someone about his first-hand experience with what’s become my current pick in the venue race. That would have been the practical reaction but weddings rarely bring out practical emotions.

Instead, they bring out petty feelings, like annoyance. “His wedding was at the Berkeley?” I thought, scrunching my face in irritation at the screen, “But I wanted to use it!”

I realize how stupid that sounds. I am well aware that many other people have already gotten married at the Berkeley and I have no bad feelings towards my co-worker who thought of the idea first; it’s not like I think he contaminated the venue or something.

But still, the fact that I actually know someone who already held his wedding there makes it seem like a less original idea, like it really is something that’s already been done.

Unlike me, Shawn, my other half, was pleased to hear that I knew someone who’d rented the Berkeley. He also pointed out that at least this “someone” was a co-worker and not one of our guests; that to them, the Berkeley would be a new and fresh venue. This is an excellent point.

Plus it’s not like we’ve decided 100 percent on the Berkeley as our venue; there are still a few other places that we want to check out once the snow melts.

No comments:

Post a Comment