Dec 4, 2009

Ever Taken a Wedding Dress on WestJet?

In a couple weeks time I’ll be flying back to Alberta where, among other things, I’ll be getting my dress fitted and altered. Then, if all goes to plan, it will get to come back to Toronto with me.

So my question to all of you is what’s the best way to get the dress back? I’m flying on WestJet and I can’t remember if WestJet has those little closets at the front like some Air Canada planes do.

Currently it looks like I have two options:

1. Shove it in the overhead compartment – I know that a lot of destination brides put their dresses in a good garment bag and then carefully place them in the overhead compartment however, my dress is much, much larger than your typical destination wedding dress. I’m also worried about all the other crap that my dress will need to compete with in the overhead compartment (leftover Christmas turkey for example).

2. Stick the dress in a big box/other container: this is the option that I’m currently leaning towards even though it means checking my dress. It will first be placed in a garment bag, then folded in two and placed in a large box. I feel like the dress will be safer in a box even though it does mean placing a lot of trust in the airline/barrage handlers.

I think either myself or my mother will be getting in touch with WestJet soon to see what they recommend. They don’t have any info up on their site on this topic which sort of surprises me since they fly to a lot of destination wedding locations. Maybe something to add to their FAQ section....

2 comments:

  1. From all the magazines I've read, they reccomend to never ever ever check your wedding dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true, everyone says not to check it but I just can't picture fitting the dress in the overhead compartment. I need to give WestJet a call and see if they have those little on-board closets...

    ReplyDelete