Nov 12, 2009

Save-The-Dates

So what are your thoughts on save-the-dates? Originally we weren’t planning on doing them, an extra, unnecessary cost I figured, but then I discovered Vista Print and how cheap it was to make cute little magnet and then I started thinking, “Hey, I could do Christmas cards this year and just toss the magnets in those.”

But while I could affordably do save-the-dates, it’s still another expanse and really, will anyone care? I’ve never received a save-the-date. I actually had never even heard of them until I saw that episode of The Office where Angela asks Pam where her save-the-date is. So it might be kind of weird to send out save-the-date to our family members and friends.

On the other hand, sending them out would send a clear message that says, “Hey, you’re invited and here’s the date”. We are getting married in August, prime vacation time, and some people will be travelling so getting the word out to potential guests that yes, they’re invited, is something we need to do.

And what better way to do that then mail out a magnet? After all, who doesn’t love a useful, practical magnet (okay, maybe people with stainless steel fridges). I know that paper would be cheaper but it seems so wasteful and its design possibilities/expectations are so much greater. I’m not really up for figuring out how another piece of paper should look but a small, square magnet, designing that I can handle.

I think what’s going to make or break this save-the-date idea will be Shawn. I have a strong feeling that he’s going to say “no” to this extra spending. What we might end up doing instead is using the Christmas cards themselves to double as save-the-dates though I worry that might look odd. But maybe I can find black, silver and dark purple Christmas cards…

1 comment:

  1. We've decided not to do save the dates, but this is mostly because of our small families and small guest list. Our wedding date has mostly gotten around by word of mouth - making very sure the few out of towners are aware.

    I could see using save the dates with a larger guest list, lots of out of towners or during a busy travel season like you said.

    A compromise? My sister did an email save the date. She had a graphic designed to match her wedding stationary and sent it out via email. Still looked classy and "in theme", but saved a lot on paper, postage, etc.

    ReplyDelete