Aug 20, 2009

Friends Don't Make Friends Wear Ugly Dresses

I’ve taken to snooping through Facebook to look for wedding photos. The other day, I came across a wedding that was completely lovely in almost all respects. The venue was stunning, the bride beautiful, the groom and his attendants handsome and happy but the bridesmaids… well, their hair and make-up was lovely.

Not the dresses I'm talking about

But the dresses, yeah, not so much. I don’t want to reveal too many identifying details so let’s just say the dresses were not flattering. I have no clue if the dresses were off-the-rack or custom made (I feel like they might have been the latter; I can’t imagine these things being mass produced) but I do know that they should not have been worn down the aisle.

The thing is, if I verbally described these dresses using neutral language, you’d probably think that they were quite elegant. And maybe on the rack they would have looked not bad. But once a person, well, somehow even the thinnest of the bridemaids (maybe a size four) looked like a sausage. So while I can picture someone sketching one of these dresses, I just cannot understand why they were purchased.

Why didn’t someone say something? I guess I can understand why the bridesmaids themselves didn’t say anything; they probably didn’t want to upset or worry the bride. But why couldn’t the bride see that she was shoving her friends in unflattering dresses?

All of this leads me to say, brides-to-be, please take a critical look at your maids’ dresses and make sure they look great. Yeah, yeah, you’re the bride and you should look the best but your bridesmaids are your friends who (hopefully) are helping you pull off the biggest event you’ll likely ever plan. Make sure they look almost as good as you do.

And if this means being flexible with your bridesmaids dress plans, then so be it. Your pictures will look better for it and you wouldn’t have someone like me wondering what your maids did to dress those ugly dresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment