Aug 9, 2009

Double-Sided Tape Is Not A Miracle Product

This post is more about being a wedding guest than a bride though I guess the key bit of advice – fully try on your outfit before the big day – also applies to girls in big, white dresses.

Yesterday I attended S’s wedding. It was a lot of fun except for one thing: my misbehaving dress.

This was a new dress that I picked up at the Clothing Show from Champagne and Cupcakes, a great dress shop located on Queen West. I did try it on at the Clothing Show and I did notice that it was rather low cut. But the rest of it looked so great on me that I figured I could do something about the front. I got the dress, put it in a draw when I got home and forgot about until a couple of weeks ago.

Now, I did try it on in advance of the actual wedding day and I did come up with a plan – using double-sided fabric tape to stick the dress to my bra but I didn’t actually try this plan out. Mistake #1.

Mistake #2 was not pulling out the double-sided tape until about 15 minutes before we had to go. I tried my best to make it work but the tape just couldn’t do the job of keeping the dress in place. Oh sure, it stuck the dress to the bra but then almost every time I moved it became unstuck. I tried to then sew the dress in place and while that helped a bit, it didn’t provide the solution I was looking for. I did briefly consider switching dresses but I’d already done my make-up to match this misbehaving dress and I didn’t have time to redo it.

So off we went to this wedding, with me having to touch my chest every five minutes to restick the dress to the right spot. At the wedding a friend tried to fix the problem with a small safety pin but even that didn’t fix it completely and you could see the head of the safety pin.

So yeah, I spent last night as a bit of a fashion faux pas, one that easily could have been avoided if I’d just tried out my double-sided tape plan ahead of time.

I will wear the misbehaving dress again but first I plan to do a little sewing job on the front.

No comments:

Post a Comment