Sep 28, 2009

We Need A Photographer

We’re now ten months away from Shawn and mine’s wedding date. According to various wedding planning sites, we should book our photographer in the next couple of months. So, anyone know a Toronto-based photographer who’s experienced at shooting weddings, is good with people who hate having their photos taken (and are completely unphotogenic), is fairly affordable and who takes eye-catching and unique shots?

I must admit I am not a photography person. I like my artwork to be something that I could never imagine and most photography can’t be classified as that. But I understand that photography is a necessary part of any wedding and while I don’t think Shawn and I are really looking forward to the photo portion of the day, we do want to have great photos that we can flip through years from now.

At the same time, we’re not up to blowing $5,000 on a photography package. We want someone who will come in, take our pictures, maybe touch up a few of the better ones and then give us a CD. I know you can get all sorts of fancy photo packages but really, there’s nothing common sense about spending $500 (or higher) on some glittering album that you’ll look at twice and will then be chewed on by the dog.

We’ll likely print off a few favourites for our own homemade album, stick a bunch on Facebook and use one particularly flattering one on our postcard-style thank you cards. Maybe Shawn will have a photo in his office and Christmas 2010 will likely see various relatives getting framed photos as Christmas gifts. But that’ll be about it for our photos. So maybe we don’t want a photographer whose bread and butter is weddings. We want someone who won’t push those fancy packages on us and who will take amazing photos regardless of my statements on $500 wedding photo albums.

If you’ve got any names, please leave them in the comments section or email them to me at wedtoblog@gmail.com

Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. I don't know what their rates are, but you should talk to my friend Rannie (www.photojunkie.ca) or Mondo (http://m2020.com/m2020photo/m2020photo.html)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out this article on hiring a wedding photographer http://www.mydeejay.com/blog/2009/09/hiring-a-wedding-photographer-questions-to-ask-a-photographer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! That article is great Kristen, I think I'm going to mention it in a future post (with credit to you).

    ReplyDelete