Jul 7, 2009

Review: Secrets From Your Sister

Two Thursdays from now I will be trying on wedding dresses for the first time. I’ve been told wear clothes that are easy to change out of, heels that are similar in height to what I’ll wear on my wedding day and a really good strapless bra.

While I already do own a couple strapless bras, I decided to use wedding dress shopping as an excuse to get a really nice, high-quality one. And since proper fit is particularly important when you’re wearing anything strapless, I decided to skip the mall lingerie shops and instead head down to Secrets From Your Sister, at Bloor, just west of Bathurst, where one’s bra shopping experience includes time with a professional bra fitter.

I headed down there on a Saturday, just before one, and there were two ladies in front of me, waiting to be fitted. I waited for about ten minutes (they provide chairs and magazines) and during that time the store quickly filled up with shoppers. So first tip: go during the week or first thing on the weekend.

When it came my time to be fitted, I told my fitter what I was looking for and she took my measurements. She then returned with a couple “normal” bras just to make sure my measurements were right. Once she was satisfied, she returned with a pair of strapless bras, both which fit perfectly.

The whole process was actually quite speedy and surprisingly modest. Yeah, the fitter sees you in your bra but hey, that’s her job and since you’re in your own little change room, it’s not like anyone else sees you. And if you’re worried about belly fat or your overall body image, don’t be. You’re not getting fitted by professional models and when I was there, ladies of all kinds of shapes and sizes were stopping by to be fitted.

While Secrets From My Sisters is a lingerie shop, its focus is more on “practical” bras, though it does have some cute matching sets. If your wedding dress require a good foundational garment (or maybe your bridesmaid dresses do), this is definitely a store worth checking out. Their products are a bit pricey (I picked up a Panache Superbra at about $80) but they will last a long time if you take proper care of them and the customer service is excellent. You can also return any unused bras for store credit (just leave the tags on) so if you end up picking one out that doesn’t quite work with your dress, you can swap it for something more appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment